Saturday, September 27, 2014

Bansky "There Is Always Hope" Nails

So, I'm really excited about today's post for day 27 of Chalkboard Nails 31 Day Challenge  2014, artwork. Honestly, I had a hard time choosing what to do for today's prompt because I love recreating works of art. In the end, I landed on one of Bansky's most famous pieces of graffiti featuring a girl reaching for a read balloon with the inscription, "There is always hope."

For this manicure I started off with my texturized LVX Graphite nails from day 21. I thought the rough base was perfect for graffiti art. Plus, I loved the base so much I didn't want to take it off , which is actually how I landed on doing this work by Bansky that has been on my to do list for quite so time.
I used two of my (nail) art brushes as well as both black and white acrylic paint for the details because I wanted to try and make the images as crisp as possible. I started out with the white details and then painted over the images with black where needed. I then went back in and added some softened (watered down) white to really make the graffiti girl stand out.
After finishing the graffiti images I wanted to add a little more roughness to the background; so, I went back in with watered down white acrylic paint on a brush and dabbed it on my nails around the edges/open spaces. Before dry, I dabbed at it with my finger to remove the excess. I found it was actually easier to do the whole process with my finger on later nails because I had to remove some brush edges in areas. Although subtle, I think this added detail really helped to make this little masterpiece. I then finished this off with a OPI Matte Top Coat.
I'm aware my perspectives are slightly off, but it wanted it to look as if her arm was reaching out and back into the distance towards the balloon, which I made larger to fill out the nail space.These nails were difficult to photograph, resulting in many slight variations to try & capture the details.
Overall, I really enjoyed wearing these nails. They're quite different from other artwork inspired nail art I've down - examples including Artdestiny Watercolor Seashell Nails, Mary Capan's Return to Atlantis, and Sleepy Hollow Nails. It''s hard to believe how quickly #31DC2014 is going by and how many nail art looks I have to catch up on..eep! I hope you enjoyed today's work of art! Feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments.