Monday, September 30, 2013

31DC2013 : Sleepy Hollow Nails (+Tutorial)

Day 29 of Chalkboard Nails 31 Day Challenge 2013 is a Supernatural theme. I instantly knew I wanted to do some sort of legend, whether it be mermaids or unicorns, etc.; but then thought I could make it a Halloween themed design as well. I then happened upon this mystical tree image and knew I wanted to do Sleepy Hollow nails.
I did a twist on the watercolor technique I used in my Catching Fire nails. I wanted these to look as if the trees were peaking out of the fog, hazy and slightly distorted.
Here's how I did them:
   1. Start with a gray base (OPI Skulls & Glossbones). Seal with top coat to help prevent damaging base.
   2a. Place a large
drop of polish (Zoya Purity) in the center of nail.
   2b. Then use an eyeshaydow brush dipped in pure acetone and blot it over the nail (be sure to blot brush on towel if too saturated).

   3a. Paint on tree in black (L.A. Colors Art Deco Black).
   3b. Repeat step 2b around edges of tree and add additional branches if need be.
   3c. Repeat steps 3a & 3b until you reach the desired effect.
   4. Seal with top coat. I recommend sealing with thick top coat (Seche Vite) prior to applying matte topcoat (butter LONDON Matte Finish) for a smooth finish. (I did not do this with my nails, forgot, so you can see why I recommend something to smooth things out first.)

Well, I hoped you liked these nails. I know I enjoyed doing them. As always, please feel free to  leave me you're feedback on this manicure or any questions you might have. In addition, let me know if you have any requests/ideas you would like to see. All my polishes are purchased by me (or a gift from a friend, not supplier) unless otherwise stated.  
#31dc2013   #31DC2013